Thursday, March 27, 2008

This Week Sucks

Sunday: Alleluia. Tootle wore her pretty Easter dress to church with tights (she hates tights). Her Pop Tarts tattoo appeared to be semi permanent so I covered it up with a sweater (it was 40 degrees, after all). Flu stricken Doodle stayed home with Nana, and they arranged an indoor egg hunt for Tootle. In the afternoon, I hide eggs outside for both girls, and Tootle and I went on a bike ride. In the evening, Nana spiked a fever. What a way to start spring break.

Monday: Happy Birthday to me. My birthday kind of got shoved aside as we spent most of the day in doctors' office. Nana woke up with a higher fever, congestion, and vertigo, so I scheduled a doctor's appointment for her. I also made an appointment for Doodle to make sure that her scary cough wasn't pneumonia. Nana tested positive for the flu. In between appointments, I canceled out plans to go to New York the following day. Goodbye Mary Poppins on Broadway, dinner at American Girl Place, skating at Rockefeller Center, etc. Tootle went along to Doodle's appointment and had her own flu test. It was negative, but the doctor did put her on antibiotics again for her pesky sinus infection. As the day wore on, I became feverish too, so I went to an urgent care facility for my own flu test. It was negative. The diagnosis: a virus.

Tuesday: Doodle's fever rose to 104 again, and I spent two hours trying to get a seriously dizzy Nana out of bed in the morning so that I could wash the sheets that she had just vomited on (only one of the six loads of laundry that I did that day). I manage to sell our Mary Poppins tickets through our school's listserv (I love this listserv). A family in the school was visiting family in New York and was happy to take the tickets, which I Fed Exed to them.

Wednesday: Doodle had a chest x-ray and yet another doctor's appointment. The doctor diagnosed atypical pneumonia and put Doodle on antibiotics. Her fever disappeared, and her cough improved tremendously within hours. Yeah.

Thursday: I woke up with a fever of 102 so I went to my primary care doctor, who insisted on doing yet another flu test. This one was negative too. The doctor diagnosed a bacterial infection and prescribed antibiotics. I'm feeling better already. Doodle felt well enough this afternoon to have a playdate with a friend, but she fell asleep right after dinner. Tootle's sinus problem is much improved, and Nana is on the mend.

At this point I can't wait for spring break to be over, and I'm trying to come up with an activity or two to brighten up our week. We had such big plans for the week: not just the trip to New York, but Doodle and I had also planned to camp out for White House Easter Egg Roll tickets on Friday night and then take Tootle to the Egg Roll on Monday. I was awake so much on Friday night that I thought about getting up in the middle of the night to join the line, but I knew that I would probably be joining the line too late and that no one would be there to answer Doodle's cries for tissues and water. Tomorrow we were supposed to go to Pennsylvania to see relatives, but we'll be staying home and making sure that everyone is recovered. We're probably go to the Tidal Basin to see the cherry blossoms, see a movie, and say good riddance to this week.

No comments: