Friday, May 11, 2007

More Bedtime Conversation


Tootle graduates from preschool in just a few weeks. Tonight at bedtime I decided to test how she will answer the question that the preschool teachers ask every graduate at the graduation ceremony: what do you want to be when you grow up? Four years ago, Doodle's answer of a drummer in Penn State's marching band was rather unique among the lawyers, doctors, teachers, and mommies, so I wanted to see if the tradition might continue. Tootle did not disappoint.

Tootle: I don't ever want to be an adult.

Me: I know it's a lot of fun to be a kid, and I want you to have tons of fun, but when it's time to be an adult many years from now, you'll be ready.

Tootle: Maybe a doctor. Nah, I'll work in an office like you. What if I can't find my office? Will you show me where it is?

Me: Sure, but I think you'll be able to do things like that by yourself by then. Hey, you just said "what if" instead of "wolfif." You're getting to be such a big girl.

If Tootle's love of the microscope on today's field trip is any indication, maybe she'll be a scientist. Whatever she becomes, I know she'll be successful.


No comments: