Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Family Recipes


I'm getting little sleep in recent days as I try to finish a Shutterfly book of my grandmother's recipes to give to my mom and her twin sister as Christmas gifts. Their birthday is four days after Christmas, so if I miss one deadline, I should hit the other one. The book includes many family favorites, but I'm most pleased with the inclusion of a recipe that I've never made (although I remember that my grandfather made it when I was young). The special recipe: Dandelion Wine.

According to the recipe, you soak 6 quarts dandelion flowers in 4 quarts of cold water for 3 days and 3 nights.Strain through cloth and add to the liquid 4 pounds of white sugar, 2 slices of lemon, and 2 tablespoons of yeast. Let stand for 4 days and 4 nights. Strain again, then bottle for use.

No comments: