Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Class Snapshot

Doodle brought home her class picture yesterday. Doodle looks particularly stunning, and her beauty practically pops off the print (OK, I'm a bit biased but she does look terrific). The photographer didn't get the lighting quite right so most of the Caucasian kids look very pale/washed out, which led me to do a check of the class racial demographics:

17 Caucasians
6 African Americans
3 Asian Americans (2 of whom are adopted from China and 1 of whom immigrated from Vietnam)
2 Hispanic Americans
1 Middle Easterner (he arrived in the U.S. this fall and speaks Arabic and French)

This seems fairly representative of U.S. demographics, with Asians and African Americans a bit overrepresented and Hispanics a bit underrepresented. I'm satisfied with the diversity level in the class.

The 4th graders have been studying immigration and recently had parents who immigrated from Denmark and Argentina as adults come in to speak about their experience. The kids also had to interview someone in their family about immigration. My family is Pennsylvania Dutch and came to the U.S. several hundred years ago so Doodle couldn't interview anyone. Instead she had to research our family history and had some fun reporting on Pennsylvania Dutch phrases that are still used by her aunts today (outten the lights instead of turn off the lights, etc).

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

My daughter's school is pretty heavily Hispanic -- probably 60-70 percent -- and she's one of only 4 or 5 kids with Asian heritage in the whole school. Interestingly, when I asked her a while ago whether she thinks of herself as Asian, she said, "No, I think of myself as white." (She's both.) I don't know if it's because I'm her only living parent and I'm white, or whether there's something else going on there. I would like to find out, though, since my hope is that she'll grow up to embrace both sides of herself.